Valentine’s Day is almost here…
And temptation is often hard to resist. The aisles are have been lined with sweet treats for what seems like months luring us with their shiny red wrapping and visions of romance. However these treats are not packaged with love, they are in fact packed with hidden additives, dyes, high fructose corn syrup, and trans fats. Nothing romantic about that!
No Gracias 🙁
You can still enjoy something sweet with your special someone on Valentine’s Day (or any other day of the year). This week I’ve put together a round-up of Valentine treat recipes for you from some awesome real-food bloggers! Using only real-food ingredients, zero refined sugar, or icky additives so that you can spoil your special someone without the junk. And, since Valentine’s is synonymous with chocolate ;), they are all dark chocolate inspired!
Benefits of Dark Chocolate
Dark chocolate is not only delicious and indulgent but is actually very good for you! YES! Chocolate is good for you! Many studies have suggested that dark chocolate made with at least 70 perfect cacao can have numerous health benefits, including:
- Heart Health
- Brain Health
- Blood Sugar Control
- Antioxidant Boost (cancer protective)
- Vitamins and Minerals Boost
- Curb Cravings and Improve mood
- Dental Health (theobromine)
I always aim for the highest quality of dark chocolate I can find, organic and non-GMO if possible. Endangered Species and Theo are a couple of my favorite brands that meet this criteria. They’re usually easy to find and don’t break the bank. For recipes at home I use this brand of 100% cacao.
Dark Chocolate Inspired Valentine Recipe Roundup!
And now that you know how good it is for you…here’s a kick-booty round-up of dark chocolate inspired Valentine’s recipes! Real-food ingredients, no-refined sugar or icky additives to be found here! ENJOY!
- Banana Bon Bons by Jaro Honey
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Dessert Balls by Coconuts and Kettlebells
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie by Jaro Honey
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries by Hollywood Homestead
- Chocolate Ganache Cherry Walnut Truffles by A Harmony Healing
- Dark Chocolate Maca Love Truffles by A Happy Health Nut
- Healthy Dark Chocolate Truffles by Spirit Healers
- Healthy Dark Chocolate Peanut (or Almond) Butter Cups by Mix Wellness
- Homemade Chocolate by How We Flouirsh
- Homemade chocolate (3 variations) by Economies of Kale
- Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes by Hollywood Homestead
- Raspberry Honey Bon Bons by Kitchen Stewardship
- Scratch Dark Chocolate Sea-Salted Almond Bark by Green Plate Kate
- Spiced Dark Chocolate Cake by Raia’s Recipes
I wish you and your sweetie a very Happy Valentine’s Day!